Pathfinder - Of Men and Kings
The planet Golarion orbits a yellow sun in the far reaches of the Material Plane. Third in orbit, this blue planet contains vast oceans and lush green lands, the perfect environment for countless cultures to thrive. Golarion’s crater-scarred moon, Somal, fills its night sky, and its nearest planetary neighbors, Castrovel the Green World and Akiton the Red Planet (second and fourth from the sun, respectively), are easily visible as well.
Due to its innately hospitable and life-sustaining environment compared to other worlds, presumably the work of the gods, astronomers sometimes refer to Golarion as “the Child”. Astronomers on other planets, however, often refer to Golarion as “the Cage” in reference to its cosmic role as the prison of the mad god Rovagug, who lies bound at the world’s core.
Golarion contains eight continents amid immense seas.
- Arcadia is a lush continent that lies west from Avistan and Garund across the Arcadian Ocean, which bears its name. 4,000 miles from the shores of Avistan, little is known of this land save in the most ancient of texts and lore from long-fallen empires, though there are infrequent trade and colonization efforts from Avistan to Arcadia.
- Avistan is a large peninsular continent that expands westward from Casmaron, bordered by the World’s Edge Mountains. Avistan plays host to a number of civilizations built upon the ruins of great past empires, such as Thassilon and the colonies of Azlant. The Avistani nations of Taldor, Cheliax, Andoran, and Qadira are shaping up to become world powers, and the city of Absalom on an island off its coast is the largest and most cosmopolitan city in the world.
- Azlant is a once-great island-continent a thousand miles to the west from the Arch of Aroden. Azlant saw the rise of the first human civilizations. All that remains of Azlant today is a series of jutting crags and narrow, twisted channels; most of the continent sunk beneath the sea when the Starstone fell from the sky.
- Casmaron is the largest continent, spanning much of the world’s northern hemisphere and containing the two largest and most powerful empires in the world: Kelesh and Vudra.
- The Crown of the World is an immense frozen desert that spans the northern pole of the planet. While much too cold and harsh-weathered for permanent and successful habitation save for a few hardy nomads, the Crown is an invaluable trade route between Avistan and Tian Xia.
- Garund is a largely unexplored continent that lies southeast of Avistan, across the Inner Sea. Whether one is scouring its northern deserts for lost relics of the Osiriani pharaohs or trekking through the near-impenetrable jungles of the Mwangi Expanse, Garund provides endless adventures for those willing to risk its many dangers.
- Sarusan is the smallest and least known continent on Golarion. It lies amid the least traveled portions of the sea.
- Tian Xia is a great supercontinent across the ocean east from Casmaron and west from Arcadia. Like Avistan, it is home to many ancient and powerful empires, including Minkai and the Successor States of Lung Wa. Despite its remote location, merchants from Tian Xia travel the entire world.
Five great oceans cover the remainder of Golarion.
- The Antarkos Ocean, which covers most of Golarion’s southern hemisphere, including the south pole, and is largely composed of a permanent ice shelf.
- The Arcadian Ocean, west of Avistan and Garund, east of Arcadia, and surrounding Azlant
- The Embaral Ocean touching Casmaron, Tian Xia, and Sarusan
- The Obari Ocean, between Garund and Casmaron
- The Okaiyo Ocean separating Tian Xia from Arcadia
The nine most important seas on Golarion are: